Image: “Red Flags” by Eliana Pérez
Social Distancing – Our Response
March 20, 2020
The outbreak of CoronaVirus and its resulting disease CoVID-19 has resulted in an unexpected chain of events around the world. The Pandemic that we all are facing today and in the coming weeks, if not months, is resulting in all kinds of feelings and memento mori, from isolation to boredom—and in the worst case scenarios even to death.
This change in pace and peace of mind has also resulted in an increased time on our hands, our minds and our bodies. The so-called “Social Distancing“, a concept that not long ago was alien to most of us, became our new reality. Not only that, social distancing is already the new standard that all of us are trying to understand, digest and practice with the aim to flatten the curve for the well being of all.
How do artists respond to Social Distancing? How does it affect our creative process? Can we use this moment of loneliness, pondering and tinkering to create and produce art?
Either painting, gardening, video, music or poetry, if you are interested in creating an artistic and all on-line response to Social Distancing, please let me know (
firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will all work together in putting together an artistic response, a fresh perspective into our new reality.
Please send me your image(s) or file(s) including the entire information: Name, title, media, year and place of creation (feel free to add an art statement). I will only post them in this page as they come to me. I will also link your name to your personal website.
For your information, I don’t use any social media, so no posts will go there, at least from me. Feel free to share the project.
Thanks and please stay safe!
Curated by Alejandro García Lemos
In alphabetical order as of May 27, 2020)
(Over two months of isolation!)
- Mariangeles Borghini, Granada, Spain
- Edgar Cano López, Mexico, DC – Mexico
- Omar Castillo Torres, Ciudad de Mexico, Mexico
- Juan David Cruz, Bogotá, Colombia
- Heidi Darr-Hope, Columbia, SC – USA
- Heather Dearmon, Columbia, SC – USA
- Santiago Echeverry, Tampa, Florida – USA
- Diana Farfán, Greenville, SC – USA
- María Cecilia Galindo Oñate. Bogotá – Colombia
- Alejandro García Lemos, Columbia, SC – USA
- Bonnie Goldberg, Columbia, SC – USA
- Britt Hunt, Columbia, SC – USA
- Lee Ann Kornegay, Columbia, SC – USA
- Sammy López, Columbia, SC – USA
- Lee Malerich, Nesses, SC – USA
- Betsy Newman, Columbia, SC – USA
- Eliana Pérez, NYC
- Juan Guillermo Pérez, Rionegro, Antioquia – Colombia